I never thought I’d see the day that the insanity of igniting 45-pound plates during a bench press would be topped. Today, Rich Piana proved me wrong.
Watch (or at least skim) the video first, then we’ll talk.
With me now? Okay. This is incredible, for several reasons, some of which I’m sure you already gathered from watching the video:
1. Piana and Big J chose Bud Light and Coors Light for this challenge.
2. By the time Piana starts to show any sign of slowing, he’s four or five beers and 75-100 reps into the challenge. The bench pressing is impressive. The alcohol tolerance? Maybe not so much.
3. The beer gives them more trouble than the bench. These are men who can bench 225 for twenty reps (for five consecutive sets) more easily than they can chug five beers over the course of 15 minutes. That’s the equivalent of taking a shot of hard liquor every three minutes. Remember, both these men are over 260 pounds.
4. Piana and Big J chose Bud Light and Coors Light for this video.
5. Piana and Big J chose Bud Light and Coors Light for this video. [Okay, maybe I'm being too harsh. If you're chugging beer, Bud Light and Coors Light are both certainly better than that four-year-old Guinness in the back of your fridge.]
Something’s happening with these gone-viral lifting videos, and it’s not just deadlift passouts on Tosh.O anymore.
We recommend you not try to combine the fire video and the beer video. There isn’t a special powerlifting class for burn victims.
Anyway, Spoiler Alert: Rich won. Whatever "winning" in this contest means.