The elitefts™ Sports Performance Coach Education Series is a comprehensive educational resource for coaches in the collegiate, high school, professional, and private settings. This series will take a fundamental approach to various topics that will enable coaches the additional skills to enhance their coaching abilities, improve marketability in the industry, and drastically increase the impact they have upon their athletes.
You Sure About This?
- The State of the Industry
- Job Security
- Career Longevity
- Do you have enough information to make an educated decision about your career path?
- The 3 Ls
- Geographical Restrictions
- Questions of Convenience
- Realistic Qualifications
- Would you hire you?
WHAT’S HOLDING YOU BACK?
WHERE TO LOOK
The Geographical Commuter Circle
–Contact the Right People
APPLYING FOR POSITIONS
- The Unpaid Internship
- Other options
- Match your experience level
- Graduate Assistant
- Sometimes reserved for former players
- Get a masters and volunteer?
- Collegiate vs. HS vs. Private Sector
THE COVER LETTER
Four Paragraph Model
- Who are you?
- Why do you want this position?
- How can you be an asset to the program?
Statement of Intent
- Summary of Qualifications
Proofread and have an outside review
- Ask for permission to use them
- Update all contact info
- Notify them EVERY time you apply for a position
- No calls until after the Interview
- General LORs
THE PHONE INTERVIEW
- Phone charged and in front of a computer
- Who’s on the committee?
Follow Up with e-mail AND hand written note
They will ask questions that are:
- Conflict oriented
Key Questions When Applying
- Will this position help me get to where I want to be?
- Will I have the evaluated experience to develop as a coach?
- Can I support myself financially or at least have the means to do so?
- Dress to Impress
- Handshakes and remember names
- Don’t try to impress with what you know
- Selfless Attitude toward athletes
- Be Yourself
- Follow Up
IF OFFERED A POSITION
- Did you know the salary when you applied?
- Did you know the location of the university when you applied?
- Were the expectations and responsibilities different from what you expected?
IF YES to any, then how can you SAY NO?